LIFT Wisconsin - Marketing and Communications Director
The Economic Justice Institute, Inc., seeks a part time Marketing and Communications Coordinator for its project, LIFT Wisconsin (LIFT), a legal tech start-up dedicated to ensuring equitable access to justice for Wisconsinites.
LIFT Wisconsin (LIFT) is a project of the Economic Justice Institute, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit that also supports the work of the UW Law School’s civil legal clinics. LIFT’s mission is to provide efficient, technology driven legal assistance to clear civil legal barriers to economic prosperity for Wisconsin families, to transform legal and court systems to prevent economic drags, and to contribute to national reform movements to improve access to civil legal justice. We currently offer a free online tool – Legaltuneup.org available across Wisconsin, and on-the ground services in Dane and Jefferson counties. We are expanding to Racine, with plans to expand further as resources allow.
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator will report to LIFT’s Executive Director. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator’s responsibilities are twofold: to create and implement a Strategic Communications Plan to further LIFT’s mission and, establish and maintain connections with potential referral sources for the program, including community-based organizations, government-based agencies and programs, and employers. The Coordinator will establish, implement, and assess the effectiveness of a wide range of internal and external communications and media policies, strategies, and tools, and will work closely with the Director to develop communications that are accessible, compelling, useful, and targeted to LIFT’s targeted participants and stakeholders. Travel throughout Wisconsin’s service area may occasionally be required. While LIFT’s Administrative Office is located in Madison this position could be remote and located in another county.
The Manager of Marketing and Communications’ tasks will include:
• Oversee the design and production of communications materials, including web content, newsletters, press releases, community education items, fundraising appeals, social media postings, annual reports, development brochures, award nominations, speech content, and other materials as needed
• Maintain a current calendar integrating the materials listed above, including opportunities for external exposure for LIFT such as awards and speaking opportunities
• Strategize with community partners to identify the most effective way to promote the LIFT model to our target population, work creatively to develop marketing strategies that encourage the exploration of the tool and its resources, and use communications tools to support those efforts, including maintaining and updating document templates as needed
• Manage LIFT’s website and social media accounts and ensure they are up to date and work to support LIFT’s message, efforts, programs, and fundraising
• Work with LIFT’s Director and Associate Director to identify earned media and publicity opportunities, client stories, and legal issues to promote
• Work with LIFT’s Service and Outreach Coordinators to communicate training, pro bono, and other volunteer opportunities.
• Work with the LIFT’s Service and Outreach Coordinators to maintain tracking documents that record interactions with program partners, community-based organizations, and employers.
• With input from the Director and Service Coordinator, create marketing materials to send to potential community and business partners (promotional documents, power points, posters, flyers).
• Meet regularly with LIFT’s Director and Service Coordinators to evaluate outreach and presentation activities.
Internal Communications and Strategies
• Implement a Strategic Communications Plan for staff and volunteers, ensuring that mission, vision, key strategic goals, and leadership team initiatives are communicated appropriately
• Ensure that the Communications Plan is fully integrated with the overall work of the organization
• Coordinate with the Outreach and Service Coordinators to compile client stories and effectively communicate them throughout the organization
• Work to nominate staff, board, and volunteers for prizes and other recognition
• Identify, establish, and maintain collaborative and mutually beneficial relationships with key media outlets, beats, and reporters/producers
• Expand and maintain LIFT’s media database to include broad range of relevant print, broadcast, and online media outlets and professionals
• Serve as key media contact for news and activities and act as key point of contact between press and LIFT, in order to ensure that communications are executed as a part of the strategy
• Manage media follow-up on all publications and events in a timely and professional manner
• Screen and delegate general media calls
• Publicize LIFT in the media through press releases, relationships with reporters, social media, and story pitches
• Exercise sound judgment when dealing with the press and social media in order to build, maintain and enhance LIFT’s important relationships with key audiences • Monitor online and print media daily for relevant material, recommending and assisting with responses when appropriate.
No formal supervision responsibility. Responsible for own work product and may deploy interns and volunteers to enhance work product.
• Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in communications or related field
• Strong commitment to social justice and the mission of LIFT
• The ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality and to exercise sound judgment and diplomacy due to substantial contact with the public and the legal community
• Proficient in MS Office, and Google products
• Excellent written and communications skills; outstanding listening skills
• Strong project management skills, able to set priorities, work independently and meet deadlines
• Knowledge of local media outlets and social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
• Basic graphic design skills
• 3-5 years of previous non-profit marketing and communications experience
• Understanding of and experience working within the legal community
• Wisconsin Driver’s License and access to transportation.
Salary and Benefits
This part-time position offers a competitive salary range of $15,000-$25,000, based on experience, and a benefits package including health, dental, training and education, and generous leave.
Please indicate “Marketing and Communications Coordinator” in the subject line and e-mail a cover letter (including salary requirements), resume, and three professional references to:
Marsha M. Mansfield
Director, LIFT Wisconsin
We value a diverse staff and work environment. We strongly encourage applications from black, indigenous, and people of color, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, women, and people with life experiences or education that add to our diversity and our capacity to provide high-quality services and work to transform systems to meet the needs of communities. For this reason, we encourage applicants to include a statement about the ways that their unique background and personal, professional, and life experiences contribute to this commitment.